The Benefits Of Sex Toys for Men
Studies conducted at Indiana University (USA) in 2009 found that 45% of men aged between 18-65 years had used a vibrator and that vibrator use is associated with improved sexual function. The men who used sex toys were more likely to participate in sexual health-promoting behaviours such as testicular examinations. They also scored themselves highly on satisfaction levels of erectile dysfunction, intercourse satisfaction, orgasmic function and sexual desire.
Sex toys have long been considered the preserve of women and still are by some people, but more men are coming to realise their benefits to sexual health. The improved design, shape and quality of male sex toys has lead to a wealth of products available online and advertised in men’s magazines.
Stimulation of the prostate can offer a number of health and pleasure giving benefits. The prostate, described by some as the male equivalent of a woman’s G-spot, is a walnut-sized semen storage gland located at the base of the penis, just below the bladder. It can be stimulated both externally through pressure against the perineum and internally through the rectum. Anal stimulation is more direct, intense and produces better results.
When ignored, semen can build up within the prostate, creating stagnation and bacterial growth which can cause swelling and inflammation (prostatitis). An enlarged prostate can cause urinary and erectile problems, both distressing and uncomfortable, disrupting sleep and sexual function.
Benefits of Prostate Massage
Regular prostate massage can relax tension and stress in the muscles and nerve endings in the prostate area.
When the prostate is massaged, a man can experience extremely powerful, long-lasting, often multiple orgasms, and intense ejaculation. A prostate orgasm also flushes out any stagnant prostate fluid which can cause swelling of the prostate, thus avoiding the need for surgery.
Regular prostate massage can reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer and genital pain by improving blood circulation and cleansing the prostate.
In addition, prostate massage can ease the symptoms of haemorrhoids and anal fissures.
Prostate massage can be performed by inserting a well lubricated finger into the rectum facing upwards towards the stomach. This position can be awkward to maintain, so many men use prostate massagers in order to stimulate the prostate gland comfortably, either by themselves or with their partner.
Some prostate massagers vibrate with varying speeds which change the intensity of the stimulation felt through the prostate. Other massagers require manual manipulation.
Use of a good lubricant is important to make the massage feel comfortable and more pleasurable. Yes But Organic Lubricant is designed specifically to provide long lasting slipperiness during anal play. Made without the chemicals or skin damaging ingredients typically found in anal lubricants, Yes But is 100% skin safe and is free from preservatives, parabens, glycols and Glycerin.
Prostate massagers come in many designs with differing functions. They are available in silicone, which is skin safe and gentler on the delicate skin of the genital area, glass or even metal which can be cooled or warmed up. Some prostate massagers can be used manually and others vibrate, creating different sexual sensations.
- Anal beads consist of several small balls attached together in series, which are inserted and then removed with varying speeds depending on the effect desired – usually to enhance orgasm.
- Anal vibrators are designed to stimulate this nerve-rich area. By increasing or decreasing the intensity of the vibrations, a man can control the depth of sexual sensation he wants to feel. Some vibrating anal toys also have different vibration patterns which change the waves of vibrations. As with all anal toys, a ridge on the toy should be present to stop the toy from disappearing inside.
- Anal plugs can be made from metal, glass or silicone and many people love the full feeling they promote. Anal plugs are designed to be very stimulating, particularly in conjunction with oral sex or lovemaking. Some use them as a way of preparing the anus for full anal sex.
- As with any male sex toy, a good quality lubricant will make their use more pleasurable. Choose a high quality sex toy, made from a skin safe material such as silicone, which should be easy to clean and non-porous. Rubber and latex products can be difficult to clean and can absorb bacteria.
Male masturbation has many benefits and is rarely damaging to health, unless practised to extreme levels or with force. The use of some male sex toys can prevent over-masturbation.
Benefits of Masturbation
- It can reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer. In 2008 an Australian study found that men aged 20-50 years who masturbated more than 5 times each week were 33% less likely to develop prostate cancer. Carcinogens are flushed out from the prostate gland during ejaculation, reducing build up of seminal fluid.
- It reduces stress and tension. When we engage in any form of sexual pleasure, we produce dopamine, a hormone that makes us feel good and endorphins which give us a sense of well-being. Both have an impact upon our blood pressure by lowering it.
- Masturbation is hassle-free. There is no performance anxiety involved which can impact upon our sex lives.
- It is safe. There is no risk of contracting sexual diseases or infections such as HIV, syphilis or gonorrhoea.
- It can improve sexual relationships. Masturbation can help when one partner requires more sex than the other person. It can also help couples to open up to each other and show each other the most pleasurable ways of satisfying them sexually.
- It can aid premature ejaculation by helping the man to become aware of what he is feeling and concentrate on increasing the pleasure for longer.
- It can improve self awareness and sexual satisfaction. People who masturbate are more likely to have better sexual health because they are aware of how their body feels and notice when something is not right. They are more likely to seek medical help and advice than people who do not masturbate.
Male masturbation may be the only way some men are able to reach orgasm due to physical disability, medication or following surgical or medical intervention, cancer treament or a medical condition such as diabetes or heart disease
Using a male masturbator can provide intense pleasure for a man. Many masturbators have different patterned internal sleeves which can change the intensity of pleasure and some vibrate, offering waves of orgasmic pleasure.
A male masturbator can help men who suffer from manual dexterity problems or have a partner who is unable to masturbate them manually.
Many masturbators are waterproof, made from skin safe materials and some are rechargeable, thus avoiding batteries dying at that crucial moment.
Cock rings are a common solution for men experiencing erectile dysfunction. A cock ring is a ring placed around the penis, usually at the base. Its purpose is to reduce the flow of blood from the penis, thus maintaining an erection for a longer period of time. Cock rings can also be worn around both the penis and scrotum: the scrotal ring is usually called a testicular cuff. They can be made from a variety of materials but are commonly manufactured using rubber, silicone, leather or metal. Skin safe silicone rings are much gentler on the skin in this area which is very delicate.
A cock ring can be worn if a man suffers from erectile dysfunction, in conjunction with a penis pump. The pump helps to produce an erection by simple mechanical and hydrodynamical action, whilst the cock ring is slid into position at the base of the erect penis to maintain the erection. As soon as the vacuum is released, the ring needs to be positioned before the erection is lost.
A cock ring worn during sexual intercourse can prolong the pleasure for both people involved, due to the sensation of tightness and extreme engorgement that wearing one provides. Often, wearing a cock ring can delay orgasms and produce larger erections, both intensifying orgasmic sensations.
Vibrating cock rings can bring pleasure to women as well, as some have a protruding clitoral stimulator which is designed to stimulate the clitoris, vulva or anus. Coupled with a larger erection and clitoral stimulation, a woman can often achieve a dual orgasm, clitorally and vaginally. A cock ring can enable a woman to reach orgasm even if her partner has orgasmed, or if she requires clitoral stimulation to achieve an orgasm – 70% of women do.
Use of a good lubricant is essential to ensure that the ring can be easily removed.
Cock rings should not be worn for more than 30 minutes and any reputable retailer of cock rings will advise their customers of this fact.
Falling asleep or using illicit drugs whilst wearing the cock ring can be extremely dangerous. Any pain, discomfort or feeling of coldness in the genitals is a warning sign and the ring should be removed immediately.
You occasionaly read about men who have got metal rings stuck on their penises which, in rare cases, can cause penile strangulation which requires urgent treatment as loss of blood flow to the organ can lead to serious complications and in severe cases necessitate amputation.
This is why we never recommend using metal constriction rings and only recommend silicone rings that are stretchy and can be removed easily.
You might think that using a simple household elastic band as they can dig into the tissues of the penis is fine but the materials used in rubber bands are quite rough so can irritate the skin and tug on your skin or pubic hair whilst in use. The skin of the penis and scrotum is thinner and more sensitIve that other parts of the body so there is the potential for chafing and bruising.
Do not use if…
Cock rings should not be used by those who suffer from heart disease, blood clotting disorders, sickle cell disease or those taking blood-thinning medication before seeking medical advice. If the cock ring feels too tight, remove it immediately. Seek medical advice if there are signs of bruising.
Having said all of the above, cock rings are great when used responsibly and can immensely heighten sexual pleasure.
There are several vibrating sex toys for men available on the market, many of which produce intense sexual pleasure and powerful orgasms.
Many vibrators allow a man to place his penis partially or fully inside the toy and by increasing the intensity of vibrations, achieve the level of sexual pleasure he is seeking. Some toys offer differing sensations by the way in which they vibrate or rotate.
These sex toys can help when there is a decrease in nerve sensation caused by physical injury, disease or side effects from medication. The Pulse Solo Essential is an ideal toy to help enjoy sexual stimulation and pleasure as it can be used when the penis is flaccid or erect.
Whatever your sexual need or desire, there are many benefits to sex toys beyond pleasure.